We all know that preds have many side effects, two of them being depressive behavior and neurodegeneration. Preds also cause insulin resistance. Acute use, versus long term therapy with preds, activates the NLRP3 inflammasome. I'm understanding that acute use equates to quick pred tapers. The NLRP3 inflammasome goes on to cause IL-1b secretion, which can result in neurotoxicity, pulmonary fibrosis, and pyroptosis, an inflammatory form of cell death.

Glucose and mental stress also activates the NLRP3 inflammasome. They're like gasoline in the hands of the pyromaniac. So, staying away from sugary foods is a must, when taking preds. Nothing good comes out of combining the two. Practice mindfulness, meditation or prayer. Lower your stress levels.

The following is, in no way, a recommendation but I am trying a variety of ways of reducing activation of the inflammasome and by association IL-1b secretion. Fish oil, fisetin, EGCG, Magnesium sufficiency, sulforaphane, DHEA and vit K2. I'm mixing these up in a variety of ways, to see what might work best. I've had positive results but more testing needs to be done. I'm down to 2.5mg of preds now.

Besides what I've already mentioned, factors that increase IL-1b secretion include melatonin, higher BMI, alcohol, acute exercise, too much sun or salt, disrupted sleep and aloe. Acute exercise was always inflammatory in me. I had a bad reaction to melatonin for my sleep disorder. Mayo Clinic says anyone with autoimmunity should never take melatonin. Now I do gentle exercises, light hiking and skip the melatonin at night. Glycine is a safer sleep aid.

As I speak, I'm trying hard to taper off preds. But, I totally get why someone might be on them. We all know the benefits of preds. Just be aware, there are no perfect drugs. Preds have a dark side that is pro-inflammatory.

"Glucocorticoids have also been shown to induce the expression of the NOD-like receptor family, pyrin domain containing 3 gene (NLRP3), a central component of the inflammasome, in both cultured and primary macrophages. Glucocorticoid induction of NLRP3 sensitized macrophages to extracellular ATP, which resulted in the secretion of pro-inflammatory cytokines, IL-1β, TNF-α and IL-6."

https://karger.com/nim/article/22/1-...o-Inflammatory