Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by delorisdoe View Post
    I have some nettle. The leavs are green and white and they have a purple flower.
    I do not know if you get them in Canada but the Map Butterfly (Araschinia leana) and the strikingly pretty Red Admiral (Vaessa atalanta) are partial to nettle.

Jim

You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they are aisiatic lilies in my garden.
    If they are Asiatic lilies, they won't have any fragrance. They are the first lilies to bloom every year so that could be a clue, too, if they will be blooming soon. Mine aren't quite there yet but I expect them this month. The Asiatic hybrids come in lots of solid colors and combos of colors. Here is an old pic of some of mine that are multiplying like rabbits and will bloom soon. The variety is called Lollipop.

Attachment 1647
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dryhill View Post
    I know they are a real problem to control, but if you can find a corner of your garden I recommend growing stinging nettles, quite a few catepillars love them. Also having plenty of shrubs helps the smaller shy birds, my pleasure is seeing a little Jenny Wren hopping between shrubs (the only down side to shrubs are cats, they can use them to hide from the birds).

Jim
    Oh, yikes, I sure wouldn't recommend that around here.... they are a REAL problem to control..... I've got 'em myself.... however, they thrive in wet low spots, so if you don't have one of those, perhaps you could grow them on a more limited basis without the control problem in a higher, drier spot..... Or if you DO have a small, low, wet spot that you could dedicate to the nettles without them bothering anyone, that would work, too, and I don't think they'd spread to the drier parts of your yard.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    If they are Asiatic lilies, they won't have any fragrance.
    The only trouble with growing flowers that do not have any scent is that generally they will not attract insects and frequently have no nectar for the bees.

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Oh, yikes, I sure wouldn't recommend that around here.... they are a REAL problem to control..... I've got 'em myself.... however, they thrive in wet low spots, so if you don't have one of those, perhaps you could grow them on a more limited basis without the control problem in a higher, drier spot..... Or if you DO have a small, low, wet spot that you could dedicate to the nettles without them bothering anyone, that would work, too, and I don't think they'd spread to the drier parts of your yard.

Fortunately I have a patch of gerden that is seperated from the rest by concrete, and as it is in a corner by the shed it is contained and not too unsightly. I also grew various forms of mint which is another invasive plant. I planted them in plastic three gallon buckets (with holes made in the base for drainage) and buried the bucket in the ground with about an inch of the rim above the soil.

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a huge planter full of herbs...well used to have herbs it is now all mint, except for some oregano but they look the same.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dryhill View Post
    The only trouble with growing flowers that do not have any scent is that generally they will not attract insects and frequently have no nectar for the bees.

Fortunately I have a patch of gerden that is seperated from the rest by concrete, and as it is in a corner by the shed it is contained and not too unsightly. I also grew various forms of mint which is another invasive plant. I planted them in plastic three gallon buckets (with holes made in the base for drainage) and buried the bucket in the ground with about an inch of the rim above the soil.

Jim
    True, but you can plant the fragrant lilies along with the non-fragrant ones. The different types of lilies all bloom in succession, first the Asiatics, then the trumpets and the Oriental/trumpet mixes, which are both fragrant, then the Orientals later in the summer, which are the most fragrant. The species and other hybrid types are in there somewhere. Although the Asiatics aren't fragrant, they are great for early color in the garden when we are waiting for other things to bloom.

As for mint, I would love to grow it and should be able to, though I haven't been very successful so far. Just haven't picked the right spot, I guess, or kept the weeds down around it. I remember the wonderful smell of growing mint, and hope to smell it again someday when I can smell again.

When it comes to catnip, which is also in the mint family, whenever I try to grow it the cats destroy it. But I've heard it can be invasive, which I wouldn't mind.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a huge planter full of herbs...well used to have herbs it is now all mint, except for some oregano but they look the same.
    I have a tenant on my property who has expressed an interest in growing herbs. So I'm interested in helping her do this. I have half a wine barrel that's not being used that would be great for this except it would take a lot of soil to fill it, more than the herbs need.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is not filled with dirt. I put left over plastic containers that the plants come in in the bottom or a smaller plastic planter pail or rocks-you get the picture-in th bottom and then the dirt.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is mine...ignore the rum...like i said the mint took over mojhitos.jpg
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is mine...ignore the rum...like i said the mint took over mojhitos.jpg
    Mint is good for lot of different drinks and teas so you should be set for awhile.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast