Thread: Live Barn Owl Web Cam

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    American Bald Eagle - Nesting & Young
    Here's a good page about eagles' nesting and raising young... very informative, though didn't answer my question about where the male sleeps.
    The page had some interesting info. Prognosis for youngest or smallest one doesn't sound promising if a big sister gets hungry and mean. Amazing to me was statistic given that 40% do not survive the maiden flight. Wonder if that is accurate?? One eagle usually is sitting on near by branch when the other is sitting in the nest unless it is out looking for food. At least that is the way it looked to me whenever we have seen eagles on their nests. This is to help guard the nest I suppose or be close by for relief work. My guess is the male would sleep in same location.

A nearby state park offers tours to one of their nests but you are not allowed to get very close for obvious reasons. Most nests around here are on private land but some places we can see the nests on shore from a boat when out spring fishing during daylight hours. But from a distance you can only see the one in the perch or when it brings in food so the view on these cameras is much better. The large size of the nests is very impressive though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finally got to see some action! Mama eagle fed her babies this morning. So far all I've seen on any of the cams is just a bird sitting there with an occasional view of a hatchling or egg. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know what I really love about these cams (especially the eagle cam) is that I feel like I'm out in nature. On the eagle cam I can hear all the sounds of nature--something I don't get to experience at all. Before Wegs I spent many hours in nature every day. Thanks Anne for posting these cams!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eagle camera just did a great close-up of the babies while mom was feeding them. You could see every tiny detail on their bodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was just feeding time for the eagles, and the little one did not get to eat again, the big one pecked it out of the way and I hope its okay. I love watching these cams. Thanks
    Jana

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Early today the big one pecked at the littlest one and knocked him flat. He didn't move for several minutes and I wondered if he was dead. Finally he lifted his head. The middle child has done the same thing-- a little exertion and s/he goes totally flat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Early today the big one pecked at the littlest one and knocked him flat. He didn't move for several minutes and I wondered if he was dead. Finally he lifted his head. The middle child has done the same thing-- a little exertion and s/he goes totally flat.
    Darn it, it doesn't sound good for the little one. We can still hope, I guess. Glad to see the Owl Cam is back online this morning, but I haven't seen the chicks yet, and no update about when the 3rd one hatched.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    You know what I really love about these cams (especially the eagle cam) is that I feel like I'm out in nature. On the eagle cam I can hear all the sounds of nature--something I don't get to experience at all. Before Wegs I spent many hours in nature every day. Thanks Anne for posting these cams!!
    I'm glad you are getting that out of the cams. Looks like there a quite a few more out there, for those who have the time (which is probably not many of us!). I am pretty much surrounded by nature here where I live, but don't get out in it enough and certainly can't see into any big bird nests from where I sit. I know what you mean about hearing the sounds and am grateful to my new hearing aids for that. I look forward to hearing the "bird symphony" on summer mornings with the windows open.... might have to put my hearing aids in while still in bed.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After listening to the birds on the Eagle nest i got motivated to walk a block to nearby park and look at the Egrets and cormorants and Canada geese nesting on a small island in the small lake in the park. I counted 30 egrets in the trees and half dozen cormorants plus three dozen geese and some gulls. Only one pair of geese seemed to have an active nest right now. It was fun watching the egrets trying to land in the trees against the wind. They hovered just like hummingbirds so I went to get my camera for some pix and took a few. Will upload a couple here when I figure out how to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    After listening to the birds on the Eagle nest i got motivated to walk a block to nearby park and look at the Egrets and cormorants and Canada geese nesting on a small island in the small lake in the park. I counted 30 egrets in the trees and half dozen cormorants plus three dozen geese and some gulls. Only one pair of geese seemed to have an active nest right now. It was fun watching the egrets trying to land in the trees against the wind. They hovered just like hummingbirds so I went to get my camera for some pix and took a few. Will upload a couple here when I figure out how to do it.
    Cool, drz! I think sharing photos of nature is one of the best things we can do for each other here, aside from Wegs-related info and advice. I still find it hard to figure out how to insert a personal photo into a post, since the system seems to ask for a URL. I haven't tried recently, but maybe some smart person like Al can help with this.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast