Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pred question

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    I've always been weirded out by the hand cramps. Sometimes it's just my index finger sort of "flipping" underneath the next digit. Not painful, but definitely cramping. Sometimes my whole hand sort of screws up so the thumb and little finger meet. I've *kindof* noticed it at times when I think I'm closer to active wegs, but couldn't really swear on it.

edit: Foot cramps, too, but much less frequent. x
    I noticed the hand cramps first, before I was ever diagnosed, while working at a job which required using the hands constantly. They are similar to what you describe, but were temporary enough that they didn't really interfere with my work. For me, now, the foot cramps are more frequent, though they are mainly at night while lying down.

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Huh. I get hand and foot cramps but am no longer on high dose pred. I thought it had something to do with the neuropathy, in the feet, anyway. They usually happen when I'm trying to drop off to sleep and I have to change positions to get them to stop. The hand ones happen when I'm trying to do something with my hands, and aren't as common as the feet ones.

Anne
    Hi!

I've also been having foot cramps for a few months ( which like you occur when trying to fall asleep). I am interested in what you said about neuropathy being a possible cause of these cramps, as I also have neuropathy. I been in a flareup since the end of November and don't know if these cramps are part of my flareup (they been much worse since my flareup)/and or related to taking 8 mg. of medrol (equivalent to 10 mg. of prednisone).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeinformed View Post
    I've also been having foot cramps for a few months ( which like you occur when trying to fall asleep). I am interested in what you said about neuropathy being a possible cause of these cramps, as I also have neuropathy. I been in a flareup since the end of November and don't know if these cramps are part of my flareup (they been much worse since my flareup)/and or related to taking 8 mg. of medrol (equivalent to 10 mg. of prednisone).

Could be either. i can't remember; are you taking any other meds to deal with your flare?

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeinformed View Post
    Hi!

I've had these hand cramps for years before taking any Prednisone. Sometimes my husband has to pry my hand open and other times my thumb looks like it is frozen to the palm of my hand. I do have neuropathy and Pred actually makes them happen less often, until I start lowering my dose. You might check your Cal/Mag intake as I have found taking a Cal/Mag with dinner lessens evening leg cramps.
    trudy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It might be an old wives tale but try placing a cork down inside the bottom of your bed if you suffer from foot and leg cramps at night.
    I haven't done this myself but my mum does and swears by it.
    So that it doesn't move around, place the cork in between the mattress protector and the sheet. Place it over towards the edge of the bed at the level where your feet would be.
    It is supposed to be a cork from a wine bottle but mum uses a cork tile, made for floors and such, and when a cramp comes on, rubs her foot over the cork and it relieves it. I think it is also supposed to prevent it.
    Apparently puting the back of a spoon on the cramp also relieves it almost instantly.

I have googled it and people swear by it ....... hey anythings worth a try
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL I've never heard of either of those! I read the Wiki article on cork though. I had never thought about where cork came from! (It's a tree) Nothing about its unusual properties in the article, but I sure did learn a lot about the tree and many interesting ways cork is used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    LOL I've never heard of either of those! I read the Wiki article on cork though. I had never thought about where cork came from! (It's a tree) Nothing about its unusual properties in the article, but I sure did learn a lot about the tree and many interesting ways cork is used.
    Cork is an interesting product. I put it on half my floor. So...can I avoid the cramps if I sleep drectly on the floor?

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    So...can I avoid the cramps if I sleep drectly on the floor?Al
    Only face down, inhaling the aromatics of the cork tree...and all its benefits....WHAT!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Don View Post
    Only face down, inhaling the aromatics of the cork tree...and all its benefits....WHAT!!!!!!
    Hah! Sounds like a blackmail photo-op....

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Cork is an interesting product. I put it on half my floor. So...can I avoid the cramps if I sleep drectly on the floor?

Al
    The cork probably will only worked if it was raw (without being sealed) but I guess you could poor some wine all over it and then give it a try.
    If the cork doesn't help, the wine might
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast