Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Fatigue

Dryhill is offline Dx'd December 2010

Default Fatigue

The tiredness people with ANCA-associated vasculitis (AAV) experience is a greater cause of poor physical health than any other side effect of the condition, researchers in Aberdeen have concluded.

Their research will confirm what every person with a vasclitides know first-hand; that the fatigue caused by vasculitis has far reaching consequences into every day life.

Hooray at long last someone has realised how bad fatigue can be. The researchers at the University of Aberdeen have written an article in the UK journal Rheumatology, basically urging doctors working with us weggie sufferers to take time to recognise and evaluate fatigue. They finish by stating that a better understanding of the mechanisms of fatigue are needed to support the "new generation of AAV patients where long-term survival is considered the norm and issues related to quality of life take precedence"

For me the constant fatigue is one of the things that really gets me down, I do not have a big lawn but I have to have several rests when cutting it. Luckily my job is just sitting down driving a car, I do not know hbow I would cope if I had phsically strenous work. Any one got any comments or views?

Jim
    Last edited by Dryhill; 04-29-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typos and addition
    Al, Sangye and Zoe like this.
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Pete is online now Wannabe jet pilot

Jim,

I agree with you about not knowing how I would handle a physically demanding job. Once I got into remission last summer, I felt like I was almost back to my pre-wegs self. It's taken a lot longer to bounce back since my flare in January. I don't necessarily feel fatigued, but I have much less strength and stamina than before.

Pete
    dx Jan 2011
    Last edited by Pete; 04-29-2012 at 11:58 PM. Reason: spelling

pberggren1 is offline Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Oh yes, Wegs has fatigued me for sure.

I find my doc recognizes my fatigue because he always asks how my energy level is.

With the early years of Wegs my energy level was much better than what it is now. After having 5 flares and other major complications, it all takes its toll and compounds on our bodies and makes us weaker over time.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Al
    Al is offline Registered User

All important points, Jim. And, while some doctors do worry about the fatigue from a medical point of view, they do seem to avoid thinking about the human aspects. I would work hard to try to fix this, but I kinda don't have the energy, you know?

Al
    Dryhill likes this.

renidrag is offline Registered User

The only symptom I have retained since remission is the fatigue issue. There is no way I can (could) return to my profession. I don't think the doctors realize what this can do to people. I used to be known in the neighborhood as "the man that doesn't stop". Now I rarely go out doors for more than a few minutes. It angers me.
    Dale

vdub is offline Forum Assist
    Tiny town (even smaller than Swift Current) in Southeast Washington State

It's somewhat comforting to know that I'm not the only one, but disheartening to think this is a common issue. I had one 3 month period over the past 4 years where I actually felt pretty good. I can't say that I feel bad now, but I am just soooo tired. I know I should be doing things, but I just don't have the energy anymore. I'm not sure what to do about it or if anything can be done about. I'm sure wiped out, tho.....
    Wegener's - dx'ed Apr2010, Granulomatous Hypophysitis - dx'ed Apr2010, Psoriatic Arthritis - dx'ed May2012 . (my story)
    Forum Member Map -- world map for you to put a stickpin of where you are located....

pberggren1 is offline Phil Berggren, dx 2003

My doc said fatigue is the most common issue. He said all patients have this to some degree and some time and some have it all the time really bad.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

This is really a big pisser. When I went into remission, I was thinking "whoa, life will be good for a while". No, it's not going to improve, this is it, this is all you get. I just need to get used to it and figure out some work-arounds. I'm going to try human growth hormone, which is an option for me because of the no pit issue. I have low expectations that the HGH will actually change anything. I've been pretty bummed for the past couple months and don't see things getting much better.
    Wegener's - dx'ed Apr2010, Granulomatous Hypophysitis - dx'ed Apr2010, Psoriatic Arthritis - dx'ed May2012 . (my story)
    Forum Member Map -- world map for you to put a stickpin of where you are located....

Lightwarrior is offline Lightwarrior

Jim,
    This at least validates that my being exhausted all the time is not just me.

I have no idea how you keep up the pace of being a nurse....

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast